Friday, May 13, 2011

They are out!

Tuesday morning both Casey and Caleb had their tonsils and adenoids removed. Before the surgery Casey was so excited. He couldn't wait to have a sleepover in the hospital with mommy and daddy. We tried to warn him that he was going to have a very sore throat, but his focus was on all the ice cream he would get to eat!


Here is a nice shot of Casey's golf balls



Before the nurses took Caleb and Casey away for surgery they gave them some medication to help reduce their anxiety. They call it silly juice. Caleb's reaction was silly, Casey's was more relaxed.



When we went to see Caleb in recovery he was very upset. Matt calmed him down and got him to sleep. Once he was settled Casey was wheeled into recovery and was upset as well. Matt stayed with him while I went with Caleb up to our room. It was at this moment that I wondered what we had just done to our poor children.


During the next 12 hours we would hold our children's hands, hold them and cuddle with them as they watched their favorite movies. Once the morphine wore off and reality set in it was hard on us all. Caleb passed out during a melt down, Casey threw up a couple of times and removed his IV which had to be replaced...it was a tough night.


Caleb hadn't slept all day and so it was hard to settle him down that night for bed. I finally got him to sleep while rocking him in a chair. It was at this point that I couldn't stop thinking about all of the many families that had to endure much worse. We were only their for one night and our children were going to be ok in a week or so. I prayed a prayer of thanks for my healthy children.


The next morning the boys were ready to eat pancakes and go home!



We are currently on day 4 and the boys are doing much better. They are still taking pain medication every 4 hours around the clock, but their spirits are good. We are keeping busy with movies, play dough, puzzles, trains, legos and marbles. When the weather cooperates I take them out for walks and we color with chalk.


Thanks for your thoughts and prayers!

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I have been thinking of you and praying for you quite a bit this week.