We decided to turn our guest/storage room into Casey's bedroom. We discussed many options for themes. We all agreed that an outer space theme would be really cool. Little did we know how much time and energy it would take!
First things first, we had to decide what colors to go with. We ended up painting two of the walls and the ceiling a very dark blue and the other two walls a medium blue. Casey was able to help daddy with this over the course of a weekend.
Next it was time to splatter on the stars. I watched Mural Joe on youtube. It was very messy, but it sure turned out neat. This was done in one afternoon during naptime.
Now comes the fun part! Matt and I did a lot of researching on google to find out what types of planets and rockets we wanted to paint onto the walls and ceiling. Our church borrowed us an overhead projecter which was a huge help in transfering the drawings onto the walls. This was done over a two week time period during naps, when the boys went to bed and on the weekends.
The first thing we did were the rocketships. I was the artist of this one here.
Matt, the engineer, created this rocket launcher that will keep track of Casey's
height over the years to come.
Then it was on to the sun and planets. The very lovely and talented Gretchen and Marlaina spent a morning helping us out with some of the planets, quotes, moon and sun.
When Casey came home that afternoon he was so excited. However he was disappointed that he didn't see planet Earth anywhere. So that night I painted Earth on the ceiling so it looked like the rocket was heading home.
Matt wanted to have some fun too so he decided to create Jupiter.
Next I spent an afternoon adding some glow in the dark stars and paint to the room. We got some furniture off of Craig's List and here you have the finished product!
Casey was so excited to sleep in his new room! It was so cool I kinda wanted to join him!
2 comments:
Looks amazing Joy - I love it!
Oh my goodness....I just got the chance to catch up on your blog and Casey's room looks amazing!!! Great job you crafty momma you!
Post a Comment