Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The boys


If you would have asked me 6 months ago how I would feel if I were to have another boy I would have said "I will be happy to have a healthy baby". I did mean that but secretly I really wanted a little girl!

When Caleb was born I was both shocked and nervous. I didn't think I could handle another little bundle of energy like my Casey! As soon as I held Caleb in my arms and spent just a few short minutes with him I could tell that he was different from his big brother. This was going to be the calm baby that I had prayed for (yes God answered my prayers).

Over the past week I have watched my boys interact in a way that has touched my heart as a mommy. Late last week we decided it was time to move Caleb into Casey's room. For the most part it has been a success. Casey was so excited to have his brother in his room with him. The next morning when they woke up they were both excited to see one another across the room.

Unfortunately Caleb is cutting his first tooth and so he isn't sleeping all that great right now. So depending on the day, he may sleep in the pack in play out in the front room. The first night we removed him from their bedroom Casey cried because he wanted Caleb to sleep with him!

Now that Caleb is reaching out to grab things he is really into touching those who come close enough to let him. Well, Casey sure does that! This morning Caleb was reaching out for him and Casey gave him a big hug and kiss...it melted my heart.

They also have started to play with one another too. Casey will attempt to share his trucks with Caleb who really just throws them on the floor. I love it when Casey and Caleb lie together under the play mat and make all kinds of fun sounds.

My favorite moment happened yesterday during nap time (before I removed Caleb). Both boys were in their beds and Caleb was crying. I tried to give him a few minutes to see if he would settle on his own. Well, I guess Casey wasn't as patient and got out of bed and went over to his brother's crib and was petting him through the rails and telling him "it's ok Caleb, don't cry". How sweet is he?

No comments: