Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Casey loves school!

Casey started four year old kindergarten this fall. He really enjoys going everyday. His teacher sends home a lesson plan each week so I am able to see what he will be doing each day. There is always a theme for the week. This weeks theme is fire safety. Tomorrow a firetruck and firefighters will be visiting his school!

Last week I sat in on the class for an hour and was able to see how the routine goes. Miss Melinda does a great job with the class. His day goes something like this:

Free time
Calendar time
Movement time
Group activity
Centers (art, math, phonics, science)
Story/group time
Outdoor play

Casey has a number and a letter of the week. We try to practice these in the afternoon. I have seen a huge improvement in his self-esteem since school has begun. Here are some examples of things we have done in the afternoon together to help him improve his small motor skills.

Casey wanted to practice the entire alphabet (not bad for a 4-year old)

Casey told me that he colored part of the pumpkin green because that is the color it is before it turns orange.


Here is a portrait of me! He says I have rainbow hair. Not sure if I am sticking out my tongue here or what!

No comments: